All MIT Alumni are invited to add their name to an open letter to the MIT Administration in support of Senior House. Please share widely.
Several Alumni are archiving and cataloging the hundreds of murals in Senior House before they are slated to be whitewashed. You can view them here:
So much thanks to those doing the work.
Mural Veeps: Paula Marie Countouris, Katy Ilonka Gero
Video: Tara Ebsworth, Julian Lemus
Preservation: Gabe Cira
Editing: Logan Williams
Photography: Jenn Marcos, Katy Gero, Emile Daigle, Elisa Young, Paula Marie, Jessica Adams
More Thank Yous: Josh Gordonson, Seph Aliquo, Quentin Smith, Helen McCarthy, Matt Weston, Andrei Ivanov, Milena Pagán, Ike Feitler, Sabrina Madera, Gabriel Teixeira, Abraham Quintero
It was announced on Monday, June 12 that Senior House would be depopulated and repopulated via Pilot 2021, an experimental “community of students and noted faculty who share a passion for academics and personal development grounded in a commitment to wellbeing.”
The reaction to this has been swift…
- Alumni Reaction on Reddit: MIT is tearing down my old dorm, and I just need a place to eulogize it.
- QZ Article: MIT is “fixing” the low graduation rate in its low-income, LGBT-friendly dorm by kicking everyone out
- Student-Organized Protest at the Chancellors Office (Friday June 16): You can check out all of the pictures and video via @RogueMIT on Twitter. MA Rep Mike Connelly attended, and the Sport Death Solidarity Banner was unfurled in Building 7 Lobby.
— Danielle (@HelloDanio) June 16, 2017
- Students protest Senior House ‘depopulation,’ new freshman program: https://thetech.com/2017/06/18/sh-depopulation-pilot-2021-protest
- The story in Cambridge Day on Monday Jun 19 demonstrates the wider impact of these events: MIT acts to change dorm counterculture, but community isn’t going without a fight
- MIT may succeed in killing Senior House, risking both reputation and student health (Cambridge Day, Jun 20, 2017)
- Citing Safety, MIT Disbands Its Oldest, Oddest Dorm (WBUR, Jun 22, 2017)
The entire front page of this week’s The Tech is filled with stories about Senior House. Direct links are available below the picture.
- What Pilot 2021 is: https://thetech.com/2017/06/18/pilot-2021
- Community responds to Pilot 2021: https://thetech.com/2017/06/18/community-responses-to-pilot-2021
- How Pilot 2021 came about: https://thetech.com/2017/06/18/senior-house-depopulation
- Mike Short’s piece: https://thetech.com/2017/06/18/mike-short-op-ed
- Student leaders respond to Pilot 2021 (UA/FSILG presidents): https://thetech.com/2017/06/18/student-leadership-letter-pilot-2021
- Why Pilot 2021 is everyone’s problem: https://thetech.com/2017/06/18/why-everyone-should-care-pilot-2021
- McCormick housemaster’s piece https://thetech.com/2017/06/18/raul-radovitzky-letter-senior-house
- Senior Haus needs to change: https://thetech.com/2017/06/18/pilot-2021-senior-haus-letter
We will continue to update with public content as it becomes available.